Advent of 2023, Day 2 – Getting started with Microsoft Fabric
This article is originally published at https://tomaztsql.wordpress.com
In this Microsoft Fabric series:
- Dec 01: What is Microsoft Fabric?
How to get started?
If you have used Power BI services in the past, you will be on board immediately. The outlook is the as it is with the Power BI. You will only need additional credentials to access the services. In general, you will need Azure subscription, Power BI service already enabled, and the ability for your organization to enable Fabric with Admin roles
Azure Subscription and Power BI
Make sure that you have an Azure subscription and if you already have one, be sure, to have additional access to the underlying services
Admin roles for Fabric
You will also need the Microsoft 365 (Office 365) admin privileges, Power Platform Admin and Fabric Admin.
You can enable Microsoft Fabric for:
- your tenant – this will give all the users in your tenant access to Fabric
- a specific capacity – enable Microsoft Fabric for users in a specific capacity.
In your tenant, you can enable Microsoft Fabric for:
- The entire organization – In most cases your organization has one tenant, so selecting this option enables it for the entire organization. In organizations that have several tenants, if you want to enable Microsoft Fabric for the entire organization, you need to enable it in each tenant.
- Specific security groups – Use this option to enable Microsoft Fabric for specific users. You can either specify the security groups that Microsoft Fabric will be enabled for, or the security groups that Microsoft Fabric won’t be available for.
Navigate to your admin portal and in the tenant settings, in Microsoft Fabric, you can define who can create Fabric items (optionally you can switch it off). You can also use the specific security groups to include/exclude specific security groups or users.
Enable Fabric for capacity, you can do that by capacity admins that can override the settings that are default – Microsoft fabric enabled for the entire organization. But Capacity admin can disable Fabric for a specific capacity.
Navigate to the admin portal and under capacity settings in Microsoft Fabric, you can override admin fabric settings in the “Delegate tenant settings” tab.
And from there, you can start using Microsoft Fabric in your favourite web browser.
Tomorrow we will look into explore the Fabric services.
Compete set of code, documents, notebooks, and all of the materials will be available at the Github repository: https://github.com/tomaztk/Microsoft-Fabric
Happy Advent of 2023!
Please visit source website for post related comments.